Social Services Q&A



Q:   What is the difference between a Mandated Reporter and a Designated Reporter on the

Suspected Child Abuse referral?   

A:  All Burke County Public School employees are Mandated Reporters.

However, each school or department has a Designated Reporter who reports  

the referral to the Department of Family & Children Services.


Q.   Should all suspected child abuse be reported to the school counselor?


A:   Yes.


Q:   When the school nurse contacts a parent/guardian about a student's illness and

 there is no response, does that constitute a School Social Worker referral? 


A:   Yes.


Q:   If parents/guardians fail to provide their children with prescription glasses, does that 

constitute a School Social Worker referral? 



A:   Yes, it does constitute a referral if they have the necessary resources to provide

the glasses but fail to provide them.  However, if the resources are limited, we

will assist the family.



Q:   How should a teacher address a student's hygiene issues?


A:   If the student's hygiene (clothing or body odor) is a continuous problem,

 please make a School Social Worker Referral.


Q:   Will the teachers be notified of the outcome of a School Social Worker referral?


A:   School protocol mandates that the outcome be reported to the school

counselor.  However, if you would like to receive a response via e-mail,

complete your full name on the referral form adjacent to item number three.


Q:When does the teacher make a School Social Worker referral for excessive



A:When a student accumulates six unexcused absences, the teacher should

refer the matter to the School Social Worker.  However, if a student is

absent for three or more consecutive  unexcused days, the teacher can refer the matter to the School Social Worker. If the parent/guardian has submitted appropriate written documentation for the absences, a referral is not necessary.


Q:   If a student is failing and the parent refuses to sign the Student Support Team

consent form, is this considered child abuse?


A:   No.


Q:    How does the School Department of Social Services assist families who have

 social barriers and/or financial hardships?


A:   The Department assists and/or refers the family to community agencies.


Q:   Is it negligence if the student refuses to wear prescription glasses?


A:   No.


Q:   How should I help a student who has signs of depression?


A:   Refer the student to the school counselor.


Q:   How should we handle students who are habitually tardy?


A: Follow the School Attendance Protocol. 


Q:  What is the procedure for Hospital/Homebound Services?


A:   Direct all questions to the Social Work Department at the Central Office.