News Media & Department Information
WORKING TOGETHER: SCHOOLS & THE MEDIA
Burke County Schools' public information officer is the school district's contact and spokesperson for all news media inquiries, crisis communications, and requests for faculty and student interviews.
News Media Contact:
Public Information Officer
(706) 554-4101, (706) 360-6012
Throughout the school year, the media may contact individual staff members or buildings. Before speaking with the media, please refer the representative to the district's Public Information Office, so we can ensure proper protocol is used.
- Acts as a liaison between the BCBOE and the news media
- Coordinates all media events, interviews, requests for information, etc.
- Corrects any misinformation by the media
- Maintains a professional working relationship and demeanor in the work environment and with the public
- Coordinates publicity for school and system events (pictures/news releases to the local newspaper)
- Edlio: District and school web page design & user management
- Blackboard: Mass notification messages & user management
- Coordinate Football Theme Nights
- NuCloud: Interactive campus map
- Kidder Media Company: Burke Co. Community Newsletters/Postcards
- Blackboard/ParentLink: burkecountyps App design & management
- Social Media Management: marketing/creator studio, (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn for employment opportunities)
- Google calendar management/integration with Edlio websites & BC app/subscribable links for school parent calendars
- Alumni stories/student recognition
- United Way campaign and events coordinator (Stuff the Bus)
- Teacher of the Year Coordinator
- Design Billboards/Ads
- Retirement Banquet Coordinator
- Monsito-ADA compliance reports
- Upcoming roll-out of our new Blackboard 2-way communication teacher messaging tool
- New Smore digital newsletter tool which is integrated with Blackboard, our mass notification system.
- Responds promptly to requests for information
- Coordinates the release of all BCPS data and information, as verified by the Superintendent or her designee
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent
Board policy requires that requests for interviews with students, teachers, and school system employees be approved by the district’s Public Information Officer.
If a pupil is approved for an interview, the student’s parent must either be present at the time of the interview or provide written consent.
All visitors, including those with the media, must report to the front office immediately upon arrival and again as he/she exits the building.